Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016

Bandung was wet but still homey. A bit cleaner than the last time I was there. Some roads were flooded, I didn't expect that at all. It was weird having to drive through it, I mean the Australians would have been panicked and killed themselves already!! But Indonesians, they just smile and waive.

Went to Sari-Sari for their jajanan pasar. They looked cute but the taste was below average. I was so looking forward to that rich texture of Jongkong. I can't smell Pandan, I can't taste its santan. What a disappointment!

Arrived in Singapore today. The taxi driver tried to "keep the change". Two dollars would have been ok, but twenty?? You plick! Apart from that everything else is just perfect. The Laksa, the coffee, the pastry. I wonder where they sell their jajanan pasar around here.
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

I'd love to work here in Singapore. I think they have good work ethics. They work hard and play hard, well, one that I knew in the past really knew how to party afterwards. I wonder where he is now, such a good company.

Funny how people at work thought I was Singaporean.
    "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

My ideal morning; Bandung weather, Aroma coffee and Brazilian music. The luckiest person alive. Everyday is a bonus. Should not look back nor worry about the future. Bless.

Bandung train station. Can't remember the last time I was here. It has been ages. Looking clean, self-print tickets, cool. HhB for dinner, awesome. Can't wait to be in Pekalongan first thing in the morning. Bismillah.

Arrived at 4 in the morning. Pekalongan was dark and a bit humid. A few taxis without meter were waiting at the exit and no other tourists were in sight. I didn't feel welcomed in an instant. Grabbed one of the taxis and paid for it as predicted.

The hotel, built in 1918, is still in a very good condition. It was like entering my home when I was a kid; old furnitures, antique clock, high ceiling. Perhaps this is the reason I like to stay in heritage hotels, to feel at home. However the staff did not have the courtesy that was comparable to the beautiful building. Breakfast was from 6 to 10 am but by nine there was nothing left and they just stood there like ornaments until I told them off and demanded the food to be delivered to my room for making me waiting for more than half an hour with a cup of terrible coffee.

How could Indonesians drink such coffee. Seriously.

So this is the legendary Toko Oen.

The cookies were great, can't complain. Just like the old days. The ice cream, to start with it wasn't ice cream, it was sorbet. Compared to my mango sorbet, hubby said Oen's had no flavour.

Yes! This means Italy trip. I gotta taste the best.

Spiegel, the Old Town - Semarang

Sipping my ginger ale, listening to Pulang by Float. Too romantic.

Roemahkoe, Laweyan - Solo. Gorgeous!Nasi Jemblung and Es Tjintjaw Kawista. Heaven!

Waiting the pictures, mbok!

I only took a few [MENTION=6]etca[/MENTION] and will post them in the other thread.

Feeling a bit sad leaving Solo today. I like this place, in fact can imagine us retiring here. They are soft spoken; the women, unlike the Aussies, do not laugh like hyenas. Compared to their fellows in Pekalongan, they smile a lot.

I just wish the royal family was a bit smart.

Denpasar, Bali

Going home, mixed feelings. Spent a day in Ubud. It was lovely in the morning, such a nightmare at noon. Crispy Duck at the Ronji's, with its sambal matah, was a match in heaven. A big miss with the cheesecake. Too bad.

Learning to play piano or guitar?

Studying French or Spanish?

Did you try it? How is it? Review donk

Not yet. I'll need to tidy up my study first, get rid of the books from my desk as I've now completed my study (yay!) put the computer and piano together, then I'll subscribe and give it a go, probably this weekend.

I'll start working 4 days a week from next week so I should have more time to work on my own business and learn some new hobbies.

Working part-time.. hmm
    Last edited by mbok jamu; 29-04-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Look forward to the review mbok do share if there is any interesting music score
    i need to take my piano out of the storage as well

A quick English lesson

Everyday and every day are commonly confused in English. There’s no difference in pronunciation, but using the wrong one when writing is a mistake in the everyday English you use every day.

Everyday is an adjective that means commonplace, ordinary, or normal.
    e.g. These shoes are great for everyday wear.

Every day means "each day."
    e.g. I go to the park every day.

Quote Originally Posted by ndugu View Post
    Look forward to the review mbok do share if there is any interesting music score
    i need to take my piano out of the storage as well
    Have subscribed already, paid for a year which was about $10 a month, downloaded the app, easy peasy, even Kong @surjadi05 can do it.

I'm still a Rookie but start playing with both hands.

Like I said, some people should've never been born. They all raped and murdered the girl, with no regret. May they die before they have a chance to breed.

There is a horrifying pattern of violence against women in Indonesia - This is how we stop it

By Kate Walton May 4, 2016

Just yesterday, Indonesian media was filled with news about a 63-year-old university teacher in Medan who was stabbed to death by a male student in a university bathroom, allegedly over an issue with his grades. Due to the public nature of her death it received widespread media coverage.

But there are many other horrific cases of violence against women that receive very little attention in Indonesia and are quickly forgotten. That is almost what happened to YY, a 13-year-old who was raped and killed by 14 boys and men in Bengkulu in April. One of them was reportedly her ex-boyfriend. Another went to the same school as she did.

Despite the shocking brutality of her murder, YY’s case was barely reported on in the national media. It was only due to the efforts of feminist activists from around Indonesia that YY’s case was pushed into the national spotlight.

But there are still so many other stories of violence against women from just this year that barely made an impact on the national conscious. Have you heard about SBP, a 65-year-old woman from Padang Sidempuan who was killed by her husband in April? He hit her with a piece of steel during an argument.

What about SS from Muara Enim, South Sumatera? She was 26 when her husband stabbed her and their two children to death, also in April. Local media reported that SS’s husband felt offended and that she did not listen to him.

"That means at least one woman has been killed by a man every three days so far this year in Indonesia. This is not a natural occurrence."

Back in March, a *** worker from Banjarmasin by the initials of SEW was killed by a client when he decided he didn’t want to pay for her services. SEW was 35. Her murderer beat her up and drowned her in mud.
    And back in January, a 15-year-old from Cirebon called FA was raped by her boyfriend until she fainted. He then threw her in front of a train to her death.

These women represent just a few of the 44 women and girls reported to have been murdered by men during the first four months of 2016.
    On the surface, their cases appear to have nothing in common. The victims were all of different ages, came from different parts of the country, were of different socioeconomic backgrounds, and were all killed by different people.

But there is one characteristic that they share: they were all women, and they were all killed by men. In fact, the vast majority were killed by their intimate partners, such as their husbands or boyfriends. YY was one of these – her ex-boyfriend was one of the 14 boys who raped and killed her.

That means at least one woman has been killed by a man every three days so far this year in Indonesia. This is not a natural occurrence – it is frequent, yes, but it is not normal. It is not something that we should just shrug off and accept, like the fact that it rains every day during rainy season or that your favourite nasi goreng seller didn't show up tonight. We have no control over those things.

But violence against women? We can stop it. It will take time, and will require dedicated efforts from all sectors of society and government, but it is possible. It must be possible, because we cannot go on like this, seeing the lives of hundreds of girls and women cut short every year at the hands of men and boys.

The first step towards realising an Indonesia free from violence against women is the ratification of the Law on the Elimination of Sexual Violence. The law is needed to protect women from multiple forms of sexual violence, including rape, harassment, and forced abortion, and would ensure that violators are appropriately punished. Current Indonesian laws cover only three of the 15 types of sexual violence identified by Komnas Perempuan.

The draft law is on the Prolegnas list for discussion in 2016, but has so far failed to gain much traction, despite strong pushes from Komnas Perempuan. It should now be clear just how badly we do in fact need the law. If you want to show your support for its passage, you can sign this Change.org petition and add your voice to the 28,000 who have already signed it.

It is time for a serious national discussion on violence against women. We need to change the country's mindset from one that blames women for what happens to them, to one that fully supports women's rights to safety, security, and bodily integrity. To do this, we must make changes at both the personal and institutional levels, beginning with the ratification of the law on sexual violence. Only then can we say that Indonesia is a safe place to be a woman.

Last edited by mbok jamu; 10-05-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast