PDA

View Full Version : [Tanya] Movies or TV series to learn from

Alip
18-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Do you know any TV series or movies that you consider as "rich" in English?

I am not looking for any particular aspect of English, but certainly more to the 'feel' of it instead of the grammatical value. Things that help me to appreciate the language more, not to memorize lessons.

e.g., I like the 'high language' of British aristocrate in "Downton Abbey" or that of the Vampire Barnabas Collins (played by Johnny Depp - did I spell his name correctly?) in "Dark Shadows"... but I also like the informal tone in "Friends" and even the slang-rich "Law and Order SUV". It is the matter of enrichment.

Oh... I don't spend much time watching screen, so don't worry about telling old salt how to sail, likely I won't know many of the titles you mention.
::hihi::

mbok jamu
19-02-2014, 11:53 AM
My favourite British series :

Fawlty Towers (1975)
Poirot (1989)
The Vicar of Dibley (1994)
My Family (2000)
Top Gear (2002)
The Graham Norton Show (2007)
Sherlock (2010)

The Vicar of Dibley Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZN1oVir5A

Neptunus
19-02-2014, 02:49 PM
If you looking for British accent distinction, go for Top Gear. Those three clowns got different British accents. They also like to play mockery among them and torture metaphore.

---------- Post Merged at 01:49 PM ----------

If you looking for British accent distinction, go for Top Gear. Those three clowns got different British accents. They also like to play mockery among them and torture metaphore.

Alip
20-02-2014, 08:49 AM
Not really looking for British accents, especially as there are tons of them. I gave up my obsession for accents after reading Arundhati Roy's "God of Small Things" sometime a go and stuck to my own unrecognizable accent...
::hihi::

but I have to agree that -well, to me- British -and maybe European- jokes on TV are more sophisticated than those of Americans. Not sure why, or even why the word 'sophistication' at all... they seem so intelligent and cultural... again, don't ask why I chose the words.
::doh::

mbok jamu,
at first I was bit puzzled with the theme of "Vicar of Dibley" you put up there ... someone put Psalm 23 as theme for a sitcom? But few minutes into the S01E01, my laugh woke anybody else at home (it was few minutes before morning pray. I just took my sahoor). Good sitcom, thank you for recommending it.
:jempol: